by Rapjoint Lagos
It sounds a bit ironic to talk about love joints (songs) in the same sentence as rap music. Yes, rap is notorious for celebrating violence and over-the-top misogyny.
Nonetheless, love is a well-documented theme in the genre. The theme of love has helped rappers to crossover into the mainstream and reach radio-friendly audiences: LL Cool J, Heavy D, Nas, Method Man, and many others.
I must confess that I had fun curating this playlist as I had to struggle whether to categorize some songs as battle/diss or love joints. Consultation with a fellow raphead on the apt categorization of “Break Ups 2 Make Ups” by Method Man feat D’Angelo goes:
“Me: Is this a love or diss joint?
Raphead J: It’s a bit of both. A tumultuous and maybe destructive relationship. The verses say one thing the hook says another.
Me: D’Angelo was going mushy but Meth was abusing the life out of the lady! “Slut Committee”??
Raphead J: Lol. That’s typically how those relationships play out.
Me: Abusive!! So, it goes to Battle/Diss category or love joint?
Raphead: Mehn, this one na Jamb question o! At a push, I would say love. It’s warped but it is what it is
Me: Abusive love?
Me: Calling someone’s circle of friends “Slut Committee”? Eyen o bosi naw. But she be ex-girlfriend
Raphead J: Yeah, I am putting the entire song in context. What I hear is a love/hate relationship. The break-up and makeup cycles.
Me: O deep.
Raphead J: I hate you when we are together but can’t live without you type yarns
Me: True. Why Meth sef dey call the chick? Na ex guy. Going for a rebound? Needed to revisit the locus in quo”
The other songs in this love/hate category that I struggled with were: “Trials of Love-Prodigy”; “Bye Baby-Nas”; “Round & Round-Jonell & Method Man”. You can find unconditional love in: Undying love-Nas; I’ll be there for you-Method Man feat Mary J. Blige; Ryde or Die B****-Lox; Can You Get Away-Tupac
And, there are songs on chatting up ladies: "Hey Lover" LL Cool J feat Boyz II Men; “Excuse Me Miss”-Jay-Z and others.
We hope you enjoyed the playlist as much as we enjoyed curating.
Love Joints Playlist
- I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By (feat. Mary J. Blige) - Method Man
- Break Ups 2 Make Ups - Method Man
- Hey Lover (feat. Boyz II Men) - LL Cool J
- Doin’ It - LL Cool J
- Around the Way Girl - LL Cool J
- Ryde or Die, Bitch (feat. Drag-On & Eve) - The Lox
- 03' Bonnie & Clyde (feat. Beyoncé Knowles) - JAY-Z & Beyoncé Knowles
- One More Chance / Stay With Me (Remix) - The Notorious B.I.G.
- K-I-SS-I-N-G - Nas
- Undying Love - Nas
- Cherry Wine (feat. Amy Winehouse) - Nas
- Getting Married - Nas
- Ain't No Nigga (feat. Foxy Brown) - JAY-Z
- Song Cry - JAY-Z
- Excuse Me Miss - JAY-Z
- Part II (On the Run) [feat. Beyoncé] - JAY-Z
- Trials of Love (feat. B.K. A.k.A. Mz. Bars) - Prodigy
- Temptations - 2Pac
- Can U Get Away - 2Pac
- Beautiful (feat. Pharrell & Uncle Charlie Wilson) - Snoop Dogg
- Heaven Ain't Hard 2 Find - 2Pac
- Fuck Friendz - 2Pac
- Do for Love - 2Pac
- Soon You'll Understand - JAY-Z
- I Get Around (feat. Digital Underground) - 2Pac
- Touch Myself (feat. T-Boz) [Remix] - Richie Rich
- Come On (feat. MCLyte) - Billie Lawrence
- How's It Goin' Down - DMX
- 21 Questions (feat. Nate Dogg) [feat. Nate Dogg] - 50 Cent
- Ruffneck - MC Lyte
- Ms. Jackson - Outkast